Sunday, August 30, 2009

New Website and Rocinha happenings!

I have finally completed the website...finally..so much work and getting all the people together in Rocinha to release this idea..

The website: http://www.favelatourism.com or http://www.favelatour.org.

I am determined and committed to making sure people in the favela get their oportunity. There is so much potential with all of us working together.

The website has about 30 pages so please take a look. Very important is to read our Mission statement and our Vision for the future in Rocinha.

When I return to Rio, I will be talking with a guy who live in another favela and how I can help him to help his comunity! I told him I have ideas but I can not do it for you. He can use my ideas no problem becase he is a "favelado com muito orgulho". Like me, he is very proud of his roots. I trust him and know he sincerely wants to make a positive diference in his comunity.

On my site there is several sections. The first one is about the tours I offer to my guests/friends. If you come here in Rocinha you will be treated to much more than a tour. This is the largest section as I have sections that explain the history of favelas, Rocinha, Samba and Funk music. Also there are diferent types of visits people experience in Rocinha.

I have a testimonial area where previos visitors talk about their personal experence in the comunity. I have even added a forum. So you can join and post whatever you like. If you have visited a favela before or Rocinha, I would like to know your story.

The second section is for those people who may want to come and stay in the favela..I will help you find accomodation, give you a tour of the neighborhood and give you ideas of what activities you can do here.

Section three is the cultural programs or Favela Adventures where guests can stay in the comunity and study a number of activities. Right now we have 7 activities. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Capoeira, Judo, Muay-Thai & Western Boxing, Surfing, Bodyboarding and portuguese language. As time goes on there are other activities, I will add.

Section four is the non profit I started with two other Americans Arthur Hamilton and Andy Silva in California. The purpose of the non profit is to raise money to build a comunity center for Arts and Culture programs in Rocinha. We welcome anyone who has interest to volunteer.

Section five, I have dedicated to my friend Tio Lino who has donated 29 years of his life to teaching kids art in Rocinha. He is born and raised resident and works tirelessly to help kids out of trouble.

So please take some time and check out my website and tell me what you think? :)

If there is anything you want to know about life here in Rocinha, send your questions to me at: rocinhajj@yahoo.com.br

thanks

Zezinho